Mmm homemade lasagna. The first time we made lasagna, it didn't turn out very well.
I'm very happy with the results of this recipe. We made some modifications.
So here you go readers! Enjoy and have a date night with your significant other or a glass of wine!
Changes we made are in pink
Recipe - Original recipe makes 12 servings
1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
I used a saucepan because I don't even know what a dutch oven is. I told you.. I don't cook.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 - 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
CHANGE: See picture below. We used a pyrex dish, placed the noodles in it, and covered them with boiling water from a kettle for 30 minutes. Perfectly fine and that way, the noodles don't break and cook evenly.
Remember the egg. Otherwise spreading ricotta cheese can be difficult. I may have forgotten this step when telling my husband the layers. Luckily, I re-read everything halfway through.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
We are freezing ours so no need!
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Prepping the noodles
Fill with boiling water
Fill with boiling water
We bought these freezable containers at the Dollar Store.
It's a great idea especially if you're pregnant so you have ready to go meals!
Pop em in the oven and voila.